Flowers, hedgehogs and damask. Oh my!

Totally meant to post this much earlier today but I got sleepy last night, you know at 12:30 am, and didn’t get to posting. Of course I remembered once I was cozy in bed doing the math that I had to wake up at 6:30. Long weekends are great but they sure do spoil me for waking up early.

Anyhow, here are some much better photos of my NapKitten wallet creation.

I picked a cute Japanese cotton print and a locally found red damask print. Due to all the pieces you have to cut for this pattern NapKitten has you cut as you go and I had a hard time with that. I’m a very visual person, and since I was working with a fabric where direction mattered I wasn’t sure I was going to have enough. The outside is one of the last pieces you cut and so I did some skimming through the pattern and some willy nilly cutting. I set aside the pieces and labelled them.

Making the bias tape was a fun experience, a little too finicky for my taste but I’m glad I know how to do it now.  I’m not a very good precision sewer/ironer and I think you need to be for bias tape making.  I found a video on YouTube on how to fold and cut fabric on the bias, while it seems confusing for me that was the easy part.  It was super tricky to have it nice and even and covering all the edges and previous stitching.

I made the inside pocket on the left there with the damask because I was worried I’d run out of hedgehogs, I think it was the right decision.

At the very bottom in this next photo you can sort of see the one place I’m not happy with my sewing job.  Right at the very bottom just left of the zipper is the seam of the outer binding and it’s a bit stuck out.  Also left of that in the very middle I had a hard time getting the binding up nice and close because of the middle card slot part and there’s some stitching and innards showing.  No one will ever see it since it’s inside my wallet but I plan on going back and hand stitching it a little with red embroidery floss just to hide it a bit.

Wonkiness aside I’m really happy with it and super proud to be using such a unique made by me item!

5 Responses to Flowers, hedgehogs and damask. Oh my!

  1. Hi Tara!! I made a few of these wallets and the first one was a pickle! but they turn out good. I love your colors you used and looks great! I like how you used a magnet snap as well and the little button. I just used the regular snaps. I might do that one the next one. You can view my first one here, http://appleheadthreads.blogspot.com/2011/07/three-long-days.html
    Don’t they remind you of holding a little book?? =)

  2. This is so cute! I saw the pattern and wanted to join your sew along, but I think the bifold wallet is more my speed! :) I’ll have to work my way up to all those pockets! I was wondering about the binding around the outside. I was going to buy a binding attachment. I can’t wait to try this! :)

  3. Very cute. I have to say I cheat and don’t do my binding tape on the bias, I usually use it cut straight (*gasp*) Seems to work fine unless you’re doing lots of curves (in which case I would use bias cut) and has far less fabric waste of odd shapes

  4. so cool! btw i received your buttons yesterday, I love them! :)

  5. Pingback: Flowers, hedgehogs and damask. Oh my! | She Who Dies With The Most Fabric Wins | Scoop.it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *