Whew. Ok so here’s my completed NapKitten hamburger wallet thingie. (honestly, I talk like that, meet me I’ll prove it)
It’s cute, but it’s also ridiculously wonky. I had a hard time with this one. I’ve completed 3 NapKitten patterns and I love them all. The wallet was just involved, the phone pouch is super easy and fun, and this . . . I’m not sure what I did but it’s embarassingly crooked and made. I think I choose thick fabrics and because of that I should have bypassed the fleece inside. I might get brave and try another.
The two zippers were interesting to work with, and the assembly is interesting. I, as usual, didn’t read the instructions all the way before starting and the whole time I was thinking “it looks all unfinished inside, how’s it going to get all pretty in there?” then I saw you have to cover it all with bias tape that you make yourself. Bias tape is sort of my nemesis. So for now it’s pretty thready in there.
I’m not done my Keyka Lou camera pouch, which is sad because I have a 9am flight to NYC and I was hoping to pack and pad my camera but oh well. Life sort of got in the way of sewing this week! Silly life. There’s always next week.
Well a slight wrench was thrown into my Create Along plans for last week, in the form of salmonella poisoning. I’m still a bit grumpy that I sort of wasted a lovely 4 day weekend by battling illness.
Just a reminder I’m creating one ofthese using one of NapKitten‘s great patterns. It’s all cut out and in progress!
Soooo I’m a little too behind for a reveal. But I’ll forge ahead anyhow and launch into the next project all willy nilly!
I’d like to tackle this padded camera pouch from Keyka Lou. As a bonus all her patterns are on sale right now, to celebrate her 4 year anniversary as a pattern maker and seller. Congrats Michelle!
Designing, making and selling patterns is something I’m really interested in. I’ve got some things to learn first but I’m heading in the right direction by sewing up anything I can think of!
Totally meant to post this much earlier today but I got sleepy last night, you know at 12:30 am, and didn’t get to posting. Of course I remembered once I was cozy in bed doing the math that I had to wake up at 6:30. Long weekends are great but they sure do spoil me for waking up early.
Anyhow, here are some much better photos of my NapKitten wallet creation.
I picked a cute Japanese cotton print and a locally found red damask print. Due to all the pieces you have to cut for this pattern NapKitten has you cut as you go and I had a hard time with that. I’m a very visual person, and since I was working with a fabric where direction mattered I wasn’t sure I was going to have enough. The outside is one of the last pieces you cut and so I did some skimming through the pattern and some willy nilly cutting. I set aside the pieces and labelled them.
Making the bias tape was a fun experience, a little too finicky for my taste but I’m glad I know how to do it now. I’m not a very good precision sewer/ironer and I think you need to be for bias tape making. I found a video on YouTube on how to fold and cut fabric on the bias, while it seems confusing for me that was the easy part. It was super tricky to have it nice and even and covering all the edges and previous stitching.
I made the inside pocket on the left there with the damask because I was worried I’d run out of hedgehogs, I think it was the right decision.
At the very bottom in this next photo you can sort of see the one place I’m not happy with my sewing job. Right at the very bottom just left of the zipper is the seam of the outer binding and it’s a bit stuck out. Also left of that in the very middle I had a hard time getting the binding up nice and close because of the middle card slot part and there’s some stitching and innards showing. No one will ever see it since it’s inside my wallet but I plan on going back and hand stitching it a little with red embroidery floss just to hide it a bit.
Wonkiness aside I’m really happy with it and super proud to be using such a unique made by me item!