I took a class recently at The Workroom . It’s the Herringbone Patchwork class taught by Johanna Masko who you can stalk on Instagram here. It involved ‘partial seams’ which are really neat but can hurt your head if you get thinking about them, which you have to do. It takes a seriously underestimated amount of brain power to pull this design off.
I’ve only made a quilt here and there and on my own, or as I did in university with the help of a library book so this was a new to me experience. The pattern is quite mind bending! Literally.
I quickly realised, while chatting with people in the class only to look down and see I had made mistakes, that this isn’t a ‘toss on some Netflix and get your sew on’ kind of project. We needed buddies to check our work. Even then mistakes were found. Once I got home and was buddyless and working on my own there was a lot of ‘reverse sewing’ to say the least.
But the results are lovely and very different. I’m grateful for having learned such a neat technique. Now to turn it into a pillow as Johanna intended!
I’ve gone a bit crazy recently making these scrappy pouches.
I broke out some of my really fun fabrics and pieced together some fun pouches. I have so much fabric and so many scraps I made all of these with what I have on hand. The denim is left over from other projects or repurposed from old jeans.
We all know I love Michelle Patterns. She chooses great fabrics and makes really neat things. She has played a big part in how I learned to sew. She sent me a magnet with one of the scrap pack orders I got ages ago which inspired me to begin making magnets with my scraps as well.
The other day she posted on her Instagram about finding a charm pack and I was smitten with it. Sooo off I went to buy it from her, which is what happens every time she posts she has a new scrap pack in her shop. I’m a bit of a sucker for small pieces of fabric.
So made myself a scrappy quick little project the other day. I absolutely love things that use up scraps, the small the better. I remember the first time I made something with a ton of prints on it, one of my scrappy wallets, I was hesitant at first but once you just let go and put things together it all looks great once it’s finished.
Since I’ve been chronicling the progress of my rag rug on my Facebook Page and Instagram but here are some of the pics all put together. It’s nearly done so there will be one last “KABOOM! lookit it’s all finished” pic coming soon. There are instructions around online but I used Creativebug’s class.
I’m not a great crocheter, as illustrated by my attempt at an ‘apple cozy’ years ago.
This project is great and goes quickly once you’ve got your fabric ready to go. But you’ll need some muscles for tearing up sheets or lengths of fabric. They look pretty neat all balled up.
I had a really hard time getting my rug to lay properly. I struggled with it curling up, then being warbly and I’ve sort of been making my own pattern up as I go. Laying the rug down here and there to see how it falls. And I’ve been writing down what I do on each round so that *if* I do have to do some ‘reverse crochet’ I’ll know where I left off.